On Lady Elliot Island we refer to the birds in four categories.
- Residents. Resident birds inhabit Lady Elliot Island all year round, breeding in season.
- Breeders. Seabird breeders arrive on the island solely to nest and raise their young between September and March. A small number of breeders remain resident all year round.
- Migrants. Migrant birds inhabit the northern hemisphere and visit Lady Elliot Island during the northern winter. Thet return to the northern hemisphere for the breeding season.
- Visitors. Visiting birds that spend an extended period on Lady Elliot Island but do not breed.
Of all the species of birds in AUstralia only 4% are classified as seabirds. These birds spend most of their time out at sea (often only coming onto land to breed), are capable of drinking sea water and feed predominently from the ocean.
Sources for this category:
- Field Guide to Australian Birds. Slater Landsdowne Publishing 1994
- Australian Birds 4th Edition Trounson National Books 1996